Connect & Ingest data from / to a SQL Server database
The following credentials keys are accepted:
host(required) -> The hostname / ip of the instance
user(required) -> The username to access the instance
database(required) -> The database name of the instance
schema(optional) -> The default schema to use
password(optional) -> The password to access the instance
port(optional) -> The port of the instance. Default is
Here is an example of setting a connection named
MSSQL. We must provide the
$ sling conns set MSSQL type=sqlserver host=<host> user=<user> database=<database> password=<password> port=<port>
# Or use url
$ sling conns set MSSQL url=sqlserver://myuser:[email protected]:1433/mydatabase
- On top, click New Connection.
- Search for "SQL Server". Click on it.
- Input the needed information.
- Click Test to verify connectivity.
- Click Save to save the connection.
To allow Sling to access your database, we need to create a user with the proper privileges. Please follow the steps below:
- 1.First you’ll need to login as a user with
GRANT OPTIONprivileges. Create a user
sling(or whatever you prefer) by running :USE <database_name>CREATE LOGIN sling WITH PASSWORD='<password>';CREATE USER sling FOR LOGIN sling;GO
- 2.If you are planning to load data into this connection, you need to grant the following privileges to that user so we can create tables in schema sling:GRANT CREATE SCHEMA TO sling;GRANT CREATE TABLE TO sling;GO
- 3.If you are planning to extract data from this connection, you need to give permission to read the tables you'd like Sling to extract.-- To give read access to all tables in a specific schemaGRANT SELECT ON SCHEMA::[<schema_name>] TO sling; -- Example for schema marketing: GRANT SELECT ON SCHEMA::[marketing] TO sling;GO
If your database instance is secured behind a cloud firewall, please whitelist the IP addresses listed here. We may not be able to establish a connection without this step.